Saturday, October 17, 2009

whirlwind of a week

This week has been crazy! The week went by so fast that I don't even remember what we did, but I'll try. Over the weekend I had the craziest chocolate ice cream craving and as hard as I tried to avoid my addiction, I gave into the chocolate and went to the store. Then on Monday I was punished for my weakness by having to make a Chocolate Bavarian Cream Tart and a Chocolate Ganache Tart. I guess that's what i get by giving into a chocolate weakness. After the chocolate coma, I was punished again by getting to see my favorite band play the most amazing show ever. I've seen my fair share of Jack's Mannequin/Something Corporate concerts, but this was unlike any other. 2 hours, no opening band, just Andrew on the piano and Bobby Raw with an acoustic guitar. Songs from the beginning of SoCo to the newest Jack's stuff. Beyond unbelievable.

Choc. Ganache

Choc. Bavarian



Tuesday we learned all about caramel...or in my case how to burn them. Lets just say 3 batches of my partner and my caramel got burnt. Wasn't me is all I'm saying. We made a Rapid caramel Apple tart and a Caramel Nut tart with the burnt caramel. We also made a batch of bourbon pecan cookies. After class it was errands galore day. Ran around like a crazy person, but I got a bunch of stuff done. Went on an interview with a catering company. It went really well except that they were only paying $8.50 so that was a bust. But the chef did give me the number for the woman who does their hiring for cater waiters. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Caramel Nut Tart
Wednesday was a whirl. We made a ridiculous amount of stuff. We made the apple compote that goes into the raspberry compote that we needed to make for the Linzer tart. Lets just say, the Linzer tart was amazing, but i will never go through that much trouble just to make such a little amount of raspberry jam. Ya it taste great, but is it really worth the 2 hours of you life when you can just go buy a bottle at the store for $2? Oh ya, we also made quiche.
Linzer Tart
Thursday was our first Practical/written exam day. Can I just say that I have taken a lot of exams in my day and this was by far the most nerve racking. I got group 3 for the practical exam which was 1 Tart aux Noix, 4 Choc Ganache Tartlettes and Bourbon Pecan cookies. It went really well. I do have to say that I am totally confused though. So the other day in class the Chef stopped me in the hall to tell me that I'm "doing an amazing job in class" and to "keep up the excellent work." Come to my judgement time for my practical, the Chef is critiquing my work and the only negative he said to me was that I over decorated my choc ganache tart, but the taste was "exactly what we look for." Come to my grade... 93. Really good, yes. BUT other girls who got more negative comments got better grades! WTF! So i went to ask the Chef why and he didn't really have anything negative to say to me. I totally don't mind a lower grade, as long as I'm given some criticism as to why. But anyways, I did really well all around 93 on the practical and 94 on both my written exam and rubrics (weekly performance evaluations.) Can't/shouldn't really complain.

Pate Sucree cookies, Bourbon Pecan Cookies

dump bucket from the practical exam tastings

Friday we just right into our new section. Pate a Choux. Lets just I love to eat Pate a Choux, i just despise making it. I have made this dough before and it was sticky/messy disaster. No change in school. Still sticky and messy. Not as much of a disaster, but still. Don't get me wrong, I love cream puffs and eclairs but I definitely need to practice this dough at home. I have serious issues with it. Not so much the making it, just the keeping myself clean while making it, which is all taken into account during exams. Not only do you have to make a delicious, beautiful product, you need to have a clean workspace while you are doing it (which is not my forte). Final products of the day: eclairs with chocolate, vanilla and coffee fillings. Yum.



So on top of being horrible at keeping the blog updated this week, I also did a horrible job taking pictures in class so I don't have a whole lot. Sorry... Enjoy what I did take tho. I had a little space moment and forgot to take pics of my practical exam products.

1 comment:

  1. Christina, it's so good to read about how much you're flourishing in school. I see that you are exactly where you need to be. There's just an unexplainable joy when you see your friends thrive in what they're called to do. =)

    ReplyDelete