Friday, October 9, 2009

so the saga continues...

Today I quit my job. The main reason why I chose French Culinary Institute over some other culinary schools is because they offer free cooking demonstrations by world renowned chefs. Yesterday Chef Jacque Torres came to school to do a baking demo. I had asked my boss for the day off so I could go and she was not happy. In fact she sounded a bit furious. Rewinding back to my job interview, I had told my managers that school was my number one priority and if I had a school event I would not be able to work. Well not only has she scheduled me to work on this cooking demo day, she scheduled me to work on the day before my first practical exam which I had specifically requested off so I could study. I have no idea what I'm going to do about money, I feel like I made a good decision. If I'm paying over $40,000 on school I might as well get to experince as much as I can.

For the record the cooking demo was totally worth it. I learned so much insider info. I've been making chocolates for years and I've read tons of chocolate books and not only did he give us tips that I've never read in any of those books, he also told us what his favorite chocolate cookbook was. AND we got to eat Chef Torres work for free and when you consider people spend $5 on a piece of chocolate from him that's insane!

So now I am jobless, yet again, and have to go through the job hunting all over again. I met with the career counselor today and she gave me some leads on catering jobs around the city who work well with FCI students so we'll see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment