Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Night before the big test!

Ok... so I was given a hard time by a certain someone for not posting a blog last night. So tonight is a double post nighter.

So before class yesterday we had another class in sanitation. I have now learned the most disturbing piece of information and I wish I could erase it from my mind. Now you all may wonder, what is the most dangerous pest that may infest your place of business. First to come to mind, for me anyways, was rats and cockroaches. WRONG! It's flies! If you don't want eating out ruined for you for a while don't continue reading this. So every time a fly lands on your food, it not only vomits, it leaves some poop particles behind too! I don't think I can ever look and a fly normally again. Other than that disturbing piece of news, yesterday we had repeat of day and made a lot of stuff we've already made in class. We made more Pate Sucree and Brisee. Then instead of making a big tart we made a few mini fruit tartlettes. We also made a Fig Newton dough and fig compote and a dough for Vanilla Kipferls which is a vanilla hazelnut shortbread cookie.

Vanilla Kipferls

Mini Tartletts





Today we made our first savory dish, which was refreshing after all the sweets we have been eating. We made Tarte a L'oignon...aka Onion Tart. It was so amazing! It was made with a pate Brisee so the crust was nice and flaky. It was topped with caramelized onions, walnuts, blue cheese and tomatoes. Amazing! Then we made Fig Newtons and rolled and shaped our Vanilla Kipferls. Not a huge fan of Figs so the Fig Newtons were a fav, but the dough was really tasty so I'm thinking of making them with sour cherries next time. We didn't get a chance to bake the Vanilla Kipferls so I'll have pics of those up tomorrow.



Tarte a L'oignon


We have our first test tomorrow. A group of friends and I decided we would go find a restaurant to go hang out and study at. The "study" sesh turn into a gab sesh and we ended up getting trashed. Lets just say 2 pitchers of mixed drinks goes a long way with 4 girls who haven't eaten. Lets just say the books were never even opened. I am now at home sobering up, writing the blog and attempting to finally study.

No comments:

Post a Comment