Sunday, October 11, 2009

tarts galore...

I think everyone in class is starting to get in the flow of things, which makes class run a lot quicker. I feel like we've made a ridiculous amount of stuff in 2 days. Thursday was our sanitation exam, which I think went ok. We find out our scores in a week or two. On Thursdays menu was a Clafoutis Tart which was a baked sour cherry custard tart. This so far has to be the yummiest tart we've made. I love/live for the sweet and sour combo. We rolled out 4 mini tartletts, then we made a lemon curd. Pretty straight forward, although I usually make my lemon curds a bit different. The way we made it in class was definately a quicker method then the way I'm use to making it. But the flavor is just as amazing and you save about 15 mins so I'm welcoming the change.

Clafoutis Tarte

Friday was crazy. We made a double recipe of Pate Brisee, rolled out, chilled and baked some Pate sucree. Candied some lemon peels, made a Tarte aux noix (nut tart), tarte aux citron (lemon tart), made a swiss meringue, made spritskakor cookies, worked on piping rosettes and shells. And after all of that we worked on conversions. Holy crap!

Lemon Meringue Tart
Tarte aux Noix

Spritz Cookies
I am currently attempting to organize all my notes to prepare for our first practical exam on Thurs. I'm not gonna lie, I am crazy nervous for it, especially since our oven is on the fritz and I can't bake/practice at home.

I have some pics from Jacques Torres' demo. The pics kinda suck cause I took them with my camera phone, but its better than nothing.



Chocolate Eclairs Jacques Torres style
Plum Puff Pastry
Starwberry Mini Tarts

No comments:

Post a Comment